Last Updated On November 1st, 2018
Shaving your legs sucks. Perhaps, the only thing more frustrating than that is having to take care of your bikini line. But no matter what you do, that hair is going to grow back. And it’s going to itch. I’m sick of shaving, which is why I’ve shifted to using an IPL product instead. By far, the most popular is the Philips Lumea. It can give you salon quality results at home. Today I’ll be doing a Philips Lumea review.
What is IPL?
IPL or Intense Pulsed Light is a new technology that allows you to break free from the cycle of hair growth. It is done by using a product to prevent your hair from coming back. This same technology has been used in salons for years and is often called laser hair removal. After 14 years of development and safety checks with leading dermatologists, Philips released the Lumea and the beauty industry has never been the same since.
Things to Consider Before Buying an IPL Product
There are so many minute details which can have a huge impact when buying an IPL product. For this reason, it’s always best to go with a brand that you can trust, rather than a fly-by-night company that is unlikely to have done the same rigorous testing.
Safety should always be your number one concern with any beauty product, whether it be a set of curling tongs or a laser hair removal kit. Far and away, Philips is the leading brand in this industry, and over the years they’ve reinforced this reputation.
But it’s not just the brand that matters. You’ll also want to consider how your skin feels when using the kit. IPL treatment isn’t pain-free, but that doesn’t mean it has to be painful. While a little discomfort is tolerable, you don’t want to feel a burning sensation or any sharp pain. Comfort depends on the quality of the lights and the light filters used.
3. Skin Tone and Hair Colour
The effectiveness of the product depends on the user’s skin tone and hair colour. People with lighter skin usually feel very little pain while people with black or dark brown skin are often recommended not to use an IPL kit. Inversely, the darker one’s hair is, the better the product will work. Speaking of skin, we have an article about how water softeners affect your skin that you might also want to read.
4. The IPL Kit
Outside of these factors, you’ll also want to look at the kit itself. Compare how it differs from the competition. Some models come with unique attachments that can make using the product infinitely easier. Others might have a longer lamp life and are cordless. As with any electronic device, the specifications can make a huge difference in the effectiveness and convenience of the product.
The Philips Lumea Review
If you want to buy an IPL product, it’s tough to look past the Philips Lumea. It is miles ahead of the competition.
Before, the majority of men and women had laser hair removal done in salons and clinics. Not only are these expensive, but it also means visiting the salon or clinic several times. Having a product to use at home is far more convenient. It means that you’re more likely to follow through and keep up with the required schedule of treatments.
If you want to have success with your treatments, you need to be consistent. It’s the frequency and interval of the light treatments that inhibit the hair growth and gives you the results you’ve been looking for.
Features & Benefits
The Philips Lumea isn’t the most popular because it came early. It is such because it works incredibly well and has many features that others don’t. This means that you get a more effective product that can massively reduce your hair growth with minimal pain. And, at a far quicker timeframe than its competitors.
1. Corded and Cordless
When it comes to a product that you’re quite literally using from your head to toes, portability and convenience is a huge factor. It’s important to recognise that an IPL treatment isn’t instant. It can take over an hour to do properly. You need something that is handy and can be used comfortably.
Rather than having a corded model, you can go completely cordless whenever you please. However, the cordless mode isn’t quite as powerful as when it’s plugged in. The result is that it takes more time for you to do each body part. The estimated time difference is a little under double. That is, a treatment that takes 30-minutes might take nearly an hour if it’s not plugged in.
If you want to sit and watch a movie while you do your treatment but don’t want to drag a cord halfway across the room, then this is ideal for you.
2. Curved Attachments for Different Areas of the Body
The problem with a traditional IPL kit is that it can be challenging to hold at the right angle on different parts of your body. You’ll notice that with this model, it comes with four different curved attachments for your body.
Philips is all about quality results. As you might imagine, it’s far easier to do your legs and bikini line than your underarms and face. That is why having four different attachments is useful. They choose the very best lamps and provide four separate attachments to ensure that you get as many hair free days as possible.
- The body attachment is ideal for your stomach and legs but can be used on other parts of your body. It has a slightly curved design with a large window so that you can cover a bigger area more quickly. The window is 4.1 centimetres squared, which allows you to treat both of your lower legs in only 8.5 minutes.
- If you have hair on your face like your upper lip, you should use the face attachment. It has a flat design specifically for your face. Plus, it has an extra integrated filter to ensure safety on sensitive skin. It has a 2-centimetre squared window that allows you to treat your face in only 1.5 minutes.
- The bikini attachment is slightly different, with a curved-out design and a transparent filter that allows more light through. It is able to focus on the thicker, stronger hair in that area. With a medium-sized window of 3 centimetres squared, you can cover your entire bikini line in just two minutes. After only a few treatments, you’ll see a noticeable reduction in hair growth.
- Finally, the underarms attachment has a specially designed shape to make it easier to reach your underarms. This would typically be challenging with other models. With a 3-centimetre squared window, it will only take a few minutes to treat the area and to start to see an impact.
3. 92% Hair Reduction in 3 Treatments
Regardless of all of the features, the gimmicks, and aesthetics of a product, the most important thing is performance. The Lumea works, which is why it’s become so popular and has thousands of positive Philips Lumea reviews. When it comes to home IPL hair removal, it is the industry leader.
The easiest way to gauge IPL hair removal results is to look at how the Philips Lumea compares to other models. What you’ll find is that in only three treatments this model can reduce your hair growth by up to 92%. These visible results make life easier for you.
- The Philips Lumea Prestige IPL works so well because they use the highest quality lamps. This is combined with their unique SmartSkin Sensor to optimise its performance. While you can use weaker lamps, with this stronger version, you can get quicker and longer lasting results without wasting hours each week.
- The Philips Lumea BRI956/00 also never needs a lamp replacement because it will last up to 20 years before giving out. After three treatments you’ll find that you’ve got 92% less hair. To maintain these incredible results, all you need to do is touch-up the area every 4 to 8 weeks. In comparison, you would need to shave at least twice a week to get the same results.
- Although there are other products on the market, none are as effective as the Philips Lumea Prestige BRI956. Consistently, across hundreds of Philips laser hair removal reviews, you’ll find women just like you who’ve tried other brands, only to come back to this product because of its effectiveness. While it’s undeniably expensive, you get value for your money. It delivers obvious results where much cheaper ones often fail to leave a visible impact.
4. Automatic SmartSkin Sensor
We are all unique, and as a result, it’s not ideal to use the same light settings on different individuals. While cheaper models only have a single setting, this comes with five different settings. You don’t even need to decide. It can tell you which is the ideal setting for your skin. According to the IPL hair removal reviews in the UK, the Lumea is the most popular in the country. The SmartSkin Sensor plays a large part in that statistic.
5. Longevity and Durability
One common complaint that I see from women in their Philips Lumea Precision Plus reviews is that it is relatively large when compared to the competition. It’s true, it’s surprisingly big. That’s because you need a huge case to pack in the powerful lamp needed to give you the results that you want.
The benefit of this is that it’s far tougher and more durable than smaller models. Not only does the lamp itself last for up to twenty years, which is incredible in and of itself, but it also has a casing that is extremely thick and strong.
Alternatives to the Lumea
If you’re looking for impressive IPL hair removal results, the Lumea isn’t the only choice in the market. Although, it is the most popular. DEESS, Braun, and SmoothSkin each have a product which uses the same light technology to reduce hair growth and allows you to give up shaving entirely.
Just as the Philips IPL hair removal reviews are outstanding, these three models have also been reviewed by thousands of men and women who swear by their effectiveness.
Off the bat, you’ll notice what I mentioned earlier, which is that the Lumea is particularly large in comparison to its competition. These competitors do not use lamps that are as powerful. But what they lack in power, they make up for in value and convenience. I would recommend Lumea to those who want the very best. But, if you’re hard up for cash, one of these alternatives might be a better fit.
1. DEESS IPL Hair Removal
DEESS is far less well-known than Philips. But at less than a third of the cost, it’s easy to see why women across the UK would opt for this instead. When it comes to effectiveness, the Lumea boasts a 92% hair reduction in three treatments, while this gets similar results in about three times that number of treatments.
It uses a weaker and smaller lamp. However, despite it being relatively small, it can still produce results. It will just take longer than a large lamp.
Overall, DEESS is effective, and it gets the job done at a fraction of the cost of the Lumea. But that value comes at the cost of strength and durability. In my opinion, this might be a better option for teenagers and those in their early twenties who are likely to be more strapped for cash.
- Less powerful
- Far cheaper
- Not as durable
2. Braun Silk-expert 5 IPL
The Silk-Expert 5 IPL by Braun is similar in size and shape as the DEESS. However, it has a more powerful lamp which although unable to rival the Lumea, is far superior than that of the DEESS. You’ll also notice that it comes with SensoAdapt skin sensor, similar to the Lumea, which recommends a light intensity based on your skin tone.
While the Lumea can handle both of your lower legs in around 8 minutes, this can do just one leg in the same amount of time. Similarly, the results take a little longer to show because of the lower lamp power. Overall, Braun is a step up from DEESS but is far more expensive. Therefore, many women are likely to make the jump up to the Lumea instead.
- Not as powerful
- Takes longer before you see results
3. SmoothSkin Muse
Finally, we have the SmoothSkin Muse which boasts the ability to perform a full body treatment in only 20 minutes. As with the Lumea, you get five different power settings and a skin tone detection system which helps to minimise the discomfort of the process.
Its main selling feature is its speed because it can flash the lamp far quicker than others, allowing you to cover an area of your body in a fraction of the time. If you’re looking for convenience and don’t want to waste time, this might be a better option for you.
- Quicker to use
- More affordable
- Also has five power settings
Having to shave regularly is incredibly inconvenient, especially when it comes to your legs and bikini line. Shaving can be dangerous and painful. For decades, women have dreamed of never having to shave again. Fortunately, the Philips Lumea can reduce your hair growth by up to 92% in as little as three treatments.
It is the most effective consumer product on the market. It gives you lasting results. And, it can be used up to 20-years without needing to be replaced. What’s not the love? Click here to check out the Lumea and find out more about how it works.
We’ve talked about the best way to remove all your unwanted hair. For hair that you want to keep, see our guide on how to maintain your soft straight crowning glory without damaging it.